Monday, April 21, 2008

Last week of Jesus' Life field trip

Upstairs in the auditorium we just had an 'upper room experience'. This wasn't on the schedule originally. It was a really cool experience. On the stage they ( I think Brother and Sister Seely were in charge of it) had set up a 'triclinium'. This is the set up that the Savior and his disciples probably used for the last supper. I took a picture of it which I will upload to show you. A bunch of the guys portrayed the Savior and his disciples while Brother Seely read the scriptures and explained what things must have been like. I thought it was especially interesting when they showed how the Savior must have washed the disciples feet. Brother Seely explained that feasts are a time of joy, thanksgiving, and peace. Behind the set table was beautiful Jerusalem. I'm really going to miss this wonderful place and the wonderful experiences. We've sat in the auditorium together many times on Shabbat and taken the sacrament together. Tonight was the last time we'll sit there all together as now but each week when I take the sacrament I will reflect on the Saviors sacrifice for me and I will forever visualize Jerusalem.
Earlier today we had our second to last field trip "The Last week of Jesus' Life'. We went to Bethany, the home of Lazarus, Mary, and Martha. We went down into Lazarus' tomb. It's a long walk down steep steps, cram packed with tourists (some of them stinky). (It's really humid and hot in the tomb a lot like the pyramids.) There were lots of old ladies from Russia or Eastern Europe who went down there who hard kind of a hard time gettin out. While we were waiting in line, they slowly ascend the steps next to us huffing and puffing. It took a lot for them to go down and see the tomb. With each step they'd use the handrail or the handrail and a BYU student to pull themselves out. Outside there was a really nice palestinian woman selling frankinsence, myrrh, spike hard (the ointment the woman used to anoint jesus' feet), and mustard seeds. The woman's nephew, Issac, was his name was playing outside with a box aunts. The lady told us it was his forth birthday today. There was also an older lady who invited us in to show us her house. She told us about all the other Mormons she know including 'Danny' (Daniel Rona). (She asked us if Danny was with us). Very kind people, good stories.
(I need to finish my journals for Draper's class tonight so speed time)
Next we went to Bethphage, we'd been there before when we did the walk on Palm Sunday. The relic inside the church there is a rock on which the Savior used to mount his donkey for the triumphal entry. I really like the church there, it's small but nice. Next we went to the Pater Noster church. This church has different traditions as to what happened there. It was said that it was there that the Savior gave the revelation found in JS Matt 24 about the second coming. Crusader times they said it was where he gave Matt 4 the Lord's Prayer. Pater Noster means ' Our father'. Around the courtyard of this church is the Lord's Prayer written on tiles in 68 languages (including Cherokee)! Next we walked along the Palm Sunday path to Dominus Flevit. This is where the Savior sat on the Mount of Olives and wept over Jerusalem. (How oft I would gather you as a hen gathereth her chickens...and you would not). There's a church there with a beautiful view of the city. We walked to Orson Hyde Gardens where we ate lunch and then walked to meet the bus. (It was really good to get on the air conditioned bus, it was hot today, and humid. I can't imagine what it must be like to be here summer semester, walking is exhasting). The bus started to drive us to Mount Zion and the upper room but there were Israeli road blocks everywhere (because of passover holiday). Our bus couldn't get near the old city so they had to take us back to the center. In the afternoon I went back out into the city. Today it was Shea, Rich, and I. (It's so crazy to think back to the orientation, the airport, and the first few days of getting here. It was really awkward because none of us knew each other. It's hard to imagine now. Its fun to think back on first thoughts and impressions from only 4 months ago.) Out in the city today we kicked it around Christian Quarter road. This is my favorite part of town, it has the funnest shops. Got some t-shirts, and beads, and little artsy hanky scarves I found. There's so much cool stuff in the old city, hidden treasures, the shops seem to morph everytime you pass and you notice shops you have never noticed before. There are tons of details in the city. Just these past few days I've started to look up while going down the streets. There's a whole different world up there (maybe that's what Aladdin meant). You don't notice the balconies and windows and changing buildings up there. There's so much. I now recognize the shop owners (some by name) and am making connections all the time at finding my way around (now that we're leaving). I got the best hummas in town today (according to all the BYU students) at 'Linas'. I'd never been there before yet. The hummas was way good, perfectly mellow, with pinenuts in it.
Yesterday and the past few days I have been busy taking finals. Yesterday was our New Testament final in the morning. In the afternoon I went to Bagdadi's and got Colette's and Marie's nativities picked out and shipped. (He said they'd take 4 weeks to get there, by sea mail). After dinner a group of the students here had put together a Palestinian neighborhood appreciation night. There are lots of kids who play around the center (they build forts below the wall, climb around in the field playing with sticks and puppies.) who we talk to when we walk to and from the lower gate. A bunch of the students have befriended the kids and their families. Last night all of them were invited to the center for a party to say bye and thank you. It was a really fun night.
Tomorrow is our last field trip. We will be going from Gethsemane to the Garden tomb. When I get home I plan to go through and caption all my pictures so I remember what they are (that will take a while). Fill in the holes of the field trips I haven't explained. And write some reflections as to what I have learned from this whole experience. I feel very blessed to have been able to come here. This blog has been a great tool because it has helped me share my experiences. I'm so grateful for a family that loves and supports me. Its funny, as things happen to me while I'm here I find myself saying. Oh I want to tell my mom that, or Dad would really like to hear that. I have truly been born of goodly parents who have taught me the gospel of Jesus Christ. While studying the scriptures this semester I have been reading the scriptures and thought: Oh, I remember when Dad told me about the Savior doing that, or Mom and Grandma Simmons talking about Mary and Martha, or I remember the song from 'Savior of the World' that quotes that scriptures. There's real power in studying the scriptures, it goes all the way to the roots.
Okay, I've been typing for a good 2 hours, It's 1 am, I'm going to go finish my New Testament journals. Who needs sleep at a time like this? I'm really excited to come home and see you all again soon! love ya!
Emily

No comments: